When you need to choose between heating contractors, it can feel pretty intimidating, especially if you need significant work on your heating system or even system replacement. When you are considering different heating contractors, there are some red flags to look for that will warn you to keep searching.
Here are some warning signs:
- A one-man company: While small companies can be nice to work with, if one person is trying to do it all, it is easy for them to get overwhelmed quickly. One illness or issue can create major setbacks in the timeline of your needed work.
- Limited information online: These days, you would expect to find reviews and other information about heating contractors online. If you can’t find anything about the company online, be suspicious.
- Poor communication: If you don’t hear back in a reasonable amount of time, it is time to look elsewhere. If you have questions about the work, you should expect professional, timely responses.
- High-pressure tactics: If you feel pressured to make a decision right now, the best idea is to walk away. A professional heating contractor is going to give you time to think before you make a big decision.
- Request for cash upfront: While you should have a clear cost estimate and breakdown before work begins, you should not be asked to pay until work has been completed.
Keep in mind that when it comes to heating contractors, you often get what you pay for. Quality HVAC work is not cheap. When you receive a bid from a heating contractor, you should be able to clearly see the breakdown of costs, including equipment needed, labor costs and any fees that you are being charged.