Procrastinating on air conditioning repair always leads to more serious and costly problems. A mechanical or electrical issue won’t go away on its own. When your AC starts to malfunction, the effects can range from reduced comfort to increased energy usage to a breakdown. If you live in or near Winston-Salem, our air conditioning repair contractors can diagnose and correct any issue with any make or model. They even provide same-day AC service to ensure the matter is addressed promptly.
Signs Your AC Needs Repair
When something is wrong with an air conditioner, it often has symptoms that precede an eventual breakdown. Call for AC repair in Winston-Salem if you notice:
- Weak or Warm Airflow: If the airflow from vents isn’t as strong as usual, the AC is blowing hot air, air temperatures fluctuate, or they differ from room to room, there may be a thermostat or compressor issue. A faulty fan, motor, or belt can be the cause, or you may have a blockage in your ductwork.
- Unusual Sounds: Rattling, grinding, buzzing, or whistling noises from your AC system are good reasons to call our Winston-Salem air conditioning repair professionals. A rattling or vibration can mean there’s a loose part. An electrical issue can cause buzzing. A hissing noise can mean there’s a Freon leak. Squealing or scraping sounds usually mean a belt is out of place or broken.
- Frequent Cycling: Short cycling is when your AC turns on and off too quickly. This can cause it to use more energy and wear out faster, leading to higher electric bills and frequent repairs. An AC can short cycle due to a clogged filter, refrigerant leak, air leakage, or an inaccurate thermostat. Call a professional to determine if it needs a repair, tune-up, or replacement, depending on the age and condition of the unit.
- Water Leaks: If you notice a water leak, there may be a frozen AC coil or a clogged drain line. The issue can lead to water damage or mold or mildew growth. Water leaks are not normal. To address them, we can clear out the drain line, repair a damaged drain pan, or fix whatever is causing ice to form on the coil.
- Foul Odors: The air from your HVAC system should smell fresh. If there’s a strong burning smell, a wire in your AC may have burnt out. Musty odors usually mean mold is growing in the unit or somewhere in your ductwork. If the problem isn’t diagnosed and fixed in time, it can lead to illness or severe damage to your HVAC system.
Schedule Prompt AC Repairs
At QRC, we provide 24/7 AC repairs in the Winston-Salem area. A prompt repair can prevent issues such as your air conditioner not working in the middle of the night. When your AC unit has a smaller issue, it can be fixed more quickly and cheaply than if the system breaks down. For example, a clogged filter or frozen AC coil can lead to compressor failure. Or, a faulty fan capacitor can lead to motor failure or mechanical damage that requires replacing the blower assembly.
Whenever there’s a faulty component, an AC unit will work less efficiently. Many people put off repairs to save money, but in fact, are setting the stage for spending more. Your AC will only require more expensive repairs if you ignore the problem. It will also draw more power to compensate for issues preventing it from effectively cooling your home.
A small repair may cost just a few hundred dollars (or less) but may be covered by your warranty. Meanwhile, replacing a neglected system will cost you several thousand dollars.
Schedule Professional AC Repairs in Winston-Salem
The licensed HVAC professionals at QRC are trusted throughout the area for:
- Expert Diagnoses: Our technicians use state-of-the-art equipment to assess your air conditioning system. They can test airflow, measure refrigerant pressure, and identify electrical issues with precision so even the most complex issues can be identified and corrected in little time.
- Comprehensive Repairs: Whether you need a new AC filter, capacitor, fan motor, or thermostat, we can fix the problem quickly. Our team also specializes in larger jobs, such as replacing the condenser fan, installing a new coil, or repairing or replacing the compressor.
- Emergency Repair Services: We are available day and night to provide 24/7 AC repair. Our team responds promptly when they receive your emergency call. Some AC issues are urgent and can put your health at risk if not fixed right away. Air conditioners don’t break down on a schedule, so we’re always ready to address any sudden and unexpected problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Troubleshoot My Air Conditioner?
Most of the time, you want to leave AC troubleshooting to the professionals. However, many AC issues that have other apparent causes can be traced to the thermostat. If it appears a programmable thermostat is malfunctioning, turn it off and remove, then reinsert, the batteries (or change them if they’re old). For a wired thermostat, you also want to turn off the circuit breaker and reset it. You should now be able to reset the thermostat. However, some digital thermostats have a reset button; if so, press it for five seconds and then set the desired temperature.
Many AC issues can also be attributed to a dirty or clogged filter. This is an issue you can address yourself. An AC filter should be changed every 3 months (depending on the filter and what the owner’s manual says). If you’re not getting cool air or airflow is weak, check the filter in the evaporator unit. If it’s covered in dust and dirt, replace it with the same type and size of filter.
Should I Have My AC Fixed or Replaced?
An AC repair can improve comfort, save energy, and extend the lifespan of the unit. But if your system is over 10 years old and a repair costs over 50% of a replacement, consider installing a new, higher-efficiency system.
How Long Does an AC Repair Take?
Most AC repairs take less than two hours. However, depending on the complexity of the issue and ease of access, some repairs can take three hours or longer.
Schedule AC Repair in Winston-Salem with QRC
Our Winston-Salem air conditioning repair team can fix any issue with any brand or model. Whether your AC is blowing hot air or your air conditioner is not working, they arrive promptly, find the source of the problem, and fix it. Upon assessing the system, we’ll provide an estimate of the cost to repair it. Specials on diagnostic services and financing options are available. To learn more or schedule same-day AC service, call (336) 344-7262 today.
At QRC, we offer air conditioning maintenance services in Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Waterford, Central Heights, Southern Pines, Lewisville, Clemmons, Kernersville, High Point, Ardmore, King, and Lexington, North Carolina.